You or your child may be facing a University Disciplinary violation or hearing where suspension is a real likelihood. In fact, many code of conduct violations carry a “possibility” of suspension or expulsion but ultimately this very serious penalty is not imposed. When a suspension is given from the University, it normally ranges from one semester to two years, depending on your school and the seriousness of the violation. I have not personally seen a suspension over two years and assume at that point the college would entertain expulsion.

There are some immediate, short term and long term effects of a college suspension. A suspension is defined as a separation from the university for a set period of time where a student will not be permitted to enroll in classes or enter the campus. First, financially a suspension could take a serious toll. Depending on at what point in the semester the suspension is finalized you may lose your tuition, room and board (or part of your tuition, room and board) that was paid for the current semester and you may not be permitted to finish the semester and may be withdrawn from your classes immediately. In addition, a suspension normally results in loss of scholarships and possibly could effect financial aid eligibility in the future.

While on a disciplinary suspension, your college transcripts may be on hold and this may prevent a transfer to another University. Your University may or may not accept credits completed at another school while on suspension. A suspension will be noted on your permanent academic record so all future colleges will be aware of your suspension.

After the suspension is completed, you may be required to apply for permission to re-enroll and the University will check that all the conditions you were required to complete (counseling, payment of a fine, etc.) have been done.

The effects of a college suspension are certainly serious and should be thoroughly researched in your own University’s Code of Conduct. If you have any questions about a disciplinary violation and suspension you should contact an attorney who is familiar with the process at your school.